Friday, August 7, 2009

The Easy Way Out (Not That One)

Yes, I'm back to lists. But this one should be a bit more interesting than 'things I did today' (not to say, of course that I won't use that one again).

I recently wrote a Science fiction story just for fun, and to experiment with a different genre. But I noticed a few things about my writing process and about writing in general. I mean, what happened to being able to crank out a poem in about five minutes? Everything rhymes...cheesy title...big embellished signature at the bottom...done! Things have definitely gotten a bit more complicated.

THINGS I KNOW ABOUT WRITING:
1. It's almost impossible to write a story in one sitting. Sometimes (actually, most of the time), it's necessary to walk away, do something else for a few hours, and come back with a fresh perspective.

2. Criticism stinks. It's really horrible to have someone else telling you what's bad about your piece. But you know what? It honestly, truly works. And as a matter of fact, deep down, you already knew what was wrong without being told.

3. No one will love your story if you don't love your story. Don't ever send something out that you don't have complete faith in.

4. Science fiction isn't excruciatingly boring (all of the time).

5. I've heard people say that you should never write what you know. I would say always write what you know. Include any and all personal experiences, friends, pets, names, quotes, random stories...It makes everything seem more realistic.

6. Write about what you want to write about, not what someone else wants to hear. Unless of course it's a school assignment. Then I would say do what you're told.

7. Write something you would want to read. Endless descriptions may be a blast to write, but no one want to slog though that while reading.

8. Write everyday. No matter what. Even if it's just a journal entry or a one paragraph description or a haiku. Write something. And keep it all.

That's all. Sorry if I sound really patronizing, but I'm not trying to preach. I've just recently had a sort of epiphany and I wanted to share it. Also, everything on the list is personal. I think that writing is different for every single person. There is no such thing as 'method writing.'

That's all once again. Good night.

No comments: