Friday, August 28, 2009

Holly in Collegeland

I seriously adore college. No joke. After a few days of pondering, of wandering around campus, of sketching trees and listening to birds, I have come to this conclusion.
Here's why:
1. Freedom. You can pretty much do whatever you want (within reason, obviously). For example, if I want to go to the library, I don't have to ask permission to go to the library, nor do I have to provide an estimate of when I'll be back. And if, while at said library, I meet up with a friend and we decide to walk to Pamida, I don't need to call anyone to provide an update. I can just go. It's extremely nice.

2. The classes are absolutely amazing. Morris has really small class sizes. My largest one, U.S. history, has about 60 kids in it, which is one of the larger groups you'll find here. All of my other classes have 20 students or less. These size groups make for excellent discussions. Today in intro. to lit. we had an amazing discussion about some poems we had been told to read. I normally am not a huge fan of poetry, but for some reason I found it really fun and interesting to discuss it. In that class there are about 15 people, so everyone got a chance to speak and voice their opinion, which was really nice.

3. It's a great way to meet new people. I'm usually not super good at making new friends, but everyone's in the same boat when they go off to college-new, so it's easy to relate to everyone. All of the girls on my floor in Pine Hall are really nice, and we're already planning on doing different things together and making T-shirts.

1 comment:

Amelia said...

College sounds awesome. I'm so happy that you're liking it there. :D