Sunday, August 23, 2009

Holly Goes to College

I can't believe that I'm actually at college. I've been talking about it for years-I'm lucky, I guess, that there was never any doubt that I was going to attend college. But now that I'm here, it's difficult to grasp.

Today was just orientation-type things. Mom and Amy came along to help me move in (Dad is on a fishing trip, but promised to pick me up in May). They left fairly quickly, though, since they had another three hour drive back. In fact, they left so quickly that I didn't really get emotional about it at all. It made me think about the kids who are at the U, and how tempting that must be for them to just go home every weekend. I can't really do that easily.

I've talked to tons of people. I'm usually not super good at making friends, but all of us freshman are in the same boat, so it's easy to relate to and approach people. I'm in Pine Hall, which is coed by floor, and all the girls on my floor seem really nice. Right now as I'm typing our door is open and I can look into the room across the hall and see our neighbors puttering around.

My room still doesn't feel like home, despite all my posters and pictures and books everywhere, but I think it will eventually. As hard as it is to be away from my house and my family and friends, I think that I'm really going to like Morris.

In a few hours my whole floor is walking down to the Morris movie theater (thank goodness they have one) to see a free movie. It's G-Force, which isn't my first choice of movie, but still. It's free. And it should be a good chance to talk to a few more people.

How on God's Green Earth 30 girls will manage to share 2 showers is beyond me, however.

2 comments:

Amelia said...

It sounds like the move was smooth, which is good. :) I think you'll really like college. It'll be MUCH better than high school (which, sadly, I have to endure two more years of...) I'm glad that everyone seems really nice and hopefully after a few weeks, everything will seem like home. :)

Holly said...

Thanks Amelia! Well, I thought high school was pretty rad myself, but I think that college should be pretty amazing. We'll see, I guess.