Saturday, January 9, 2010

Things I Want To Do

I will learn how to crochet.
Then, when I'm seventy years old or so, I will crochet afghans. I'll use whichever pattern and color I feel like using. But I won't make them for specific people. Only after each one is complete will I find a person to give it to. Anyone. The mail man, the teenager who bags my groceries, an old friend, my hairdresser. Anyone who I think needs an afghan at that time. Once I've given one away, I'll begin a new one.
Soon I'll know dozens of people, and a part of me will be a part of them, because they'll sleep and read and talk under the afghan I made.
Their lives will become mine.
Because when I'm seventy, I may still want to be a mail man, and a teenager who bags groceries, and an old friend, and a hairdresser.
But it will probably be enough to be an old lady who crochets.

1 comment:

Amelia said...

Wow, this is awesome. :)