Friday, April 2, 2010

Ruby




I came home for Easter today. Rode on a bus for 3 and 1/2 hours, then drove in a car with Mom for another 45 minutes. I read, I listened to my ipod, I talked.
Then I walked into the kitchen of my own home to find my dad sitting on the tile floor, holding a puppy in his lap. A new, nameless, adorable German Shephard puppy.
I was so surprised I didn't know what to say. I petted Annie (our 8 year old dog) first, so she wouldn't be too jealous when I moved on to the puppy.
I think you forget how very precious baby animals (and humans) are until you hold one again.

After the introductions, we all sat down at the kitchen table and tried to think of names. We suggested name after name, and then rejected all of them. Finally I mentioned the name Ruby. Everyone kind of liked it, but we weren't completely sure, so we kept thinking of other ideas.

It wasn't until my sister accidently called the puppy Ruby that we decided to keep the name.

The girl of the hour is asleep right now, with Annie warily watching from her own bed. I have a feeling, despite Ruby's current docility, that it will be a long, puppy-whine filled night.

I think I can handle it.

No comments: