Wednesday, June 30, 2010

Hair Today, Gone Tomorrow

My hair is gone. I hate to make this into a huge deal (I currently have a facebook status mentioning it), but it's a rather big change to go from almost-middle-of-the-back length hair to above-the-ears length hair. I definitely wanted it, though. I've had the same haircut for about seven years of my life, and it was time for something drastic.

I can't tell if I like it or not yet. At first I loved it, and then the more I looked at myself in the mirror, the less the person staring back looked like me. Maybe it'll just take some getting used to, but somehow I feel like this hair doesn't fit the person wearing it. For one thing, teenage girls with really short hair tend to be edgy. I am in no way edgy. I started picturing myself in the various sweaters that I adore and wear all winter, and it was a fairly laughable image. Alas! My hair doesn't match my clothes!

Anyway, it will grow back if I decide I want long hair again, and in the meantime I'll just enjoy it and amuse myself by wearing baggy clothes and carrying skateboards and posing as a boy.

You honestly should have seen my mother's face when I walked out into the lobby of the salon (I hadn't told her what I was planning to do). It was the first time I've seen anyone outside of a TV show do an actual double take.

1 comment:

Amelia said...

I know how the short hair thing goes. Lucky for you, your short hair was by choice and not thrown upon you. Still, change is good, especially with hair. I can't wait to see it! :)