Tuesday, June 15, 2010

Night Life Is the Life

I've been busy, my dear friends. Holly Lynn Gruntner has officially been living the night life, and while it is undoubtably exciting, it seems that lately I've been doing nothing but sleeping and working. Yesterday I dusted about a million shelves, and then sprayed them with a cleaner that somehow turned my fingertips white. The day before yesterday I spent my entire seven and a half hour shift in the same two makeup aisles, walking back and forth with lipstick and eyeshadow until I found their spots in the display.

You know what else I've been doing? Writing.
I began a new story on Sunday, and I've been working on it every day since. I don't want to speak too soon, but I think that this one might actually make it. I've always wanted to be able to stick my nose in the air and proclaim to the world, "I'm writing a novel!" My dream may come true, folks.

I think I'll give you an excerpt. This is a snippet currently near the beginning of the story, although it is certainly subject to change, especially since I'm not entirely sure what exactly my story is going to be about yet. I'm just making it up as I go along, which is one part exhilerating and five parts annoying.

Here you go:

I walkied as I left the break room: “This is Holly. I’m back from my fifteen and swinging through electronics.” Electronics was an important guest service area for Target. Whenever a team member began work for the day or returned from a break, they were supposed to walk through the department and ask any guest they saw if they needed help finding something. It kept our guest service ratings in the green, our GPS’s and TV’s selling, and our bodies circulating. Our red shirts radiated availability like monkeys in estrous.

No comments: