Tuesday, November 4, 2008

HOPE is a four letter word

A quote I heard on the news right after Obama was announced as the winner, "Tonight I am forever proud of my country." That's how I feel. I'm just very proud to be an American (cue in patriotic theme music).

These results are especially cool because I voted. For Obama. About three and a half hours ago. I remember back in fifth grade when I went to this tiny private school, my friend Mara figured out that for the 2008 election I would be the only one in the class old enough to vote. I remember feeling really special, but not really understanding what it meant to vote. It's just a very strange feeling to have an event predicted when you were eleven actually coming to pass.

Already on facebook the bashings have started. I'm not really surprised, but I just think it's so sad. You know, if McCain had won, I would have been disappointed, but I wouldn't have sat there and pouted about it and insulted him. I (hopefully) would have learned to respect him as the leader of my country and I would have prayed that he bring about the change America desperately needs.

Anyway, I guess that there are always Debbie Downers, and some of them will probably come around, or at least keep their negative crap to themselves. We can only hope.

1 comment:

Amelia said...

Great post, Holly. It says exactly how I feel (besides the fact that I can't actually vote yet...). If McCain had won, I would have been disappointed, but wouldn't have been so negative. Obama's victory speech was absolutely amazing, though. Say, do you mind if I copy this post onto my own blog? I don't really have time at the moment to write up something and yours says it SO PERFECTLY!!! Thanks!!