Tuesday, November 17, 2009

Procrastination

It happens to all of us.
There you sit. Your feet are firmly on the floor, your back is straight, your fingers arched gracefully above the keyboard. But nothing is happening, really. So here comes Facebook, MLIA, YouTube, BBC. Homework can wait a few hours, or at least until desperation sets in.

What am I currently procrastinating on?
Writing an article for the University Register. It's going to be about the aftermath of the Fort Hood shootings, which is actually a fairly interesting topic, but I just don't feel like writing at the moment. It doesn't help that I started rereading Gone With The Wind a few days ago, and am now having trouble putting it down.
My deadline is tomorrow at noon, so I do have time, I suppose.

What else is going on?
5:30 p.m. My dorm floor is having a pizza party/meeting
7:00 p.m. College Bowl meeting
9:13 p.m. Community Council meeting
10:00 p.m. Pirates of the Caribbean, the Musical meeting

Bed will hopefully follow shortly after Pirates.

Hmm what else?
I memorized an Emily Dickinson poem the other night. Memorizing poetry is something that is strangely easy for me. My grandpa gave me his book of poetry shortly before he died, and every so often I take it out and learn a poem or two. It usually only takes me about fifteen minutes, depending on the length of the poem. Anyway, here's the Emily Dickinson. It's short, but quite powerful, I think:

Not in Vain
If I can stop one heart from breaking,
I shall not live in vain:
If I can ease one life the aching,
Or cool one pain,
Or help one fainting robin
Unto his nest again,
I shall not live in vain.

2 comments:

Amelia said...

I actually just read that poem the other day, it's a really good one. That's really cool how you memorize poetry from a book you got from your Grandpa. That's really special.

Some of the things you get up to in college sound just plain amazing. Pirates of the Caribbean: the musical? Seriously, that sounds awesome. :D

Holly said...

lol it is awesome. Especially since it's infused with references from A Very Potter Musical, Thumbalina, the cat massage movie, and Buffy the Vampire Slayer.