Thursday, February 4, 2010

It's Pessimism Day

Pessimism is not something that I appreciate in the slightest. I find it to be an annoying quality, and I usually do not like to be around people who possess it. Don't get me wrong; even as an optimist I recognize that life is not wonderful and lovely in every way all the time. I simply prefer to find the good in situations and suppress the bad as best I can until I absolutely have to face it.

Today, however, is Pessimism Day. Don't check your calendars; I just made this one up, folks. But I feel like I need this venting, whether because I just haven't felt like myself lately and need to throw out an anchor of some sort, or because my day has been largely disappointing. We'll see, I guess.

Pessimismisms:
1. I had to wake up at 7:00 this morning, which gave me about 4 and 1/2 hours of sleep.
2. I didn't speak up in British Literature once, possibly because of the aforementioned exhaustion.
3. I have to revise the paper that I'm entering in an essay contest by February 15th, which is really soon considering how busy my life is right now.
4. Two different Pine boys asked two different Pine girls out today. Call me petty, but I didn't want either of these couples to develop for various reasons, and I don't think that they'll last very long. They're just two more Jenga blocks on the Pine Tower of Drama.
5. I said something really stupid in my Crusades class this afternoon. I don't know what's wrong with me! I'm just having a lot of trouble asserting my opinions in that class, and when I do they're completely weak and desperate (we get points for participation). I'm not sure if I'm intimidated by how big the class is, or how vocal everyone is, but the situation is just getting ridiculous. I know that I'm intelligent enough to be an asset to that class. I just need the courage put forth something original, and the sanity to think of better answers faster.
6. I didn't have time for lunch today, hence my stomach growled through all of my classes.
7. I really need to apply for a job here, but I don't have the time. It's only 2 hours a day 5 days a week, but I honestly can't spare that. Between studying and classes and activities I'm pretty much booked all day.
8. I'm tired of this. I feel like a whiny child, and furthermore, my life is not all bad by any means. Furthermore furthermore, this list is depressing me.

If you're thinking that this was some sort of moral-induced post, and that I planned to change my mind at the end and to go back to optimism, you're wrong. This post has just put things in perspective for me.
Here's your moral anyway: If you sit back and look at any situation long enough, you can find plenty of bad. However, if you make the bad the focus of your life, you'll only make yourself miserable and miss out on all the good (I got an A on my Communications, Media, and Rhetoric paper).

Stay gold, Ponyboy.

1 comment:

Amelia said...

I'm sorry you had a sucky day. :( I hate those. I hope it gets better!!