Monday, February 8, 2010

"The Time Has Come," (The Walrus Said)

"The time has come," the Walrus said,
"To talk of many things:
Of shoes--and ships--and sealing-wax--
Of cabbages--and kings--
And why the sea is boiling hot--
And whether pigs have wings."

I don't know about talking, but I feel like I have many things to write about this fine morning. Last night was certainly a night of revelations, some of which I will now reveal to you.

Before I begin, however, I would like to briefly ponder why last night was so thought-provoking. One reason could be that late at night something happens to me. I don't know how or why, I just know that night makes me alive, makes me think and dream about things that don't cross my mind during the day. Another reason could be simply that I'm 19, I'm foolish, and my high revelations seem to me the most important things in the world. Call me selfish, but if I may, I think that I can still use adolescence as an excuse for being nonsensical.

So here are the vaunted revelations, in no particular order. I do hope that you're not too disappointed in them, or that they at least remind you of your own thoughts.

1. I meddle way too much in other people's business; I get myself involved in situations that have nothing to do with me, and sometimes I even make things worse by fiddling with them. I think that I meddle because when a problem arises, even if I'm only on the outskirts, I have the hapless talent of being able to see the solution; of visualizing how things can be worked out, and exactly what I can do to enact that resolution. Unfortunately, most of the time things don't turn out the way I think they should, mainly because people are not chess pieces that I can move about a board and bend to my will. This of course frustrates me immensely. As someone once told me, I'm more concerned with getting what I want than most people are. I suppose that this kind of persistence can either be a fault or a virtue, but lately it's been purely a fault that needs to be corrected immediately.

2. Relationships are complicated. They really, really are, and it's incredibly difficult to discern what other people are thinking and feeling. Sometimes it's even difficult to get them to tell you what they're thinking and feeling. Often the best thing to do is to know yourself as well as you possibly can and to not make assumptions about anyone else.

3. I do not believe in apathy. I don't think that it's possible to be indifferent to anything. It's possible to see both sides of a situation, but it's not possible to not have an opinion one way or another. There's always some sort of inclination.

There you go. Surprisingly (maybe?) there was a lot more last night, but important things seem to fade as the sun gets higher in the sky. At least for me they do...

The moon was shining sulkily,
Because she thought the sun
Had got no business to be there
After the day was done--
"It's very rude of him," she said,
"To come and spoil the fun!"

No comments: