Wednesday, September 24, 2008

It's beginning to look a lot like fall

We had a very entertaining Knowledge Bowl meeting today. All the new members are really smart, and have caught on quickly. It took me at least a month to figure out the buzzing strategies. Though I enjoyed myself, I didn't really do all that well. Maybe it was because there were so many paper and pencil (math) questions.

Math is definitely my weakness. I hate that I have a weakness, but there it is. I just don't have that natural 'math sense' that allows you to remember things from year to year, answer questions intelligently in class, and figure out the amount of change due at work without relying on the cash register. I do try to have a positive attitude about it, however, because I know that as soon as I start getting really negative, my grades will start slipping.

I also want to add a little rant that I've been building up for a few weeks.
I'm president of NHS, which means that I'm primarily in charge of running meetings. That is, telling everyone about upcoming projects, deadlines, etc. Well, for the past two meetings Ms. Kniebush (excuse me, Mrs. Pohl,) hasn't been letting me say anything! I've just been standing up there like a doofus while she talks. I don't understand it! Last year Nikki led every meeting, and Mrs. Pohl just kind of sat back and added in things every now and then. At our meeting on Tuesday I actually held on to a flier about an upcoming project, thinking that I could jump in and talk about it, but Mrs. Pohl just took it out of my hand and explained it herself! I really don't know what to do here-trying to talk to her about it could end up insulting her. I guess I'll just wait until the next meeting and see how that one goes. Who knows? Since it's the beginning of the season, maybe she's just trying to establish everything before turning the leadership over to me.

Very busy week! This is how it looks:
Monday: Work 2:45-7:00
Tuesday: NHS 7:20 a.m., MB 5:00-7:00 p.m.
Wednesday: Knowledge Bowl 2:30-3:45
Thursday: MB 5:00-8:00 p.m.
Friday: Work 2:45-7:00 p.m.
Saturday: Cocktail party at our house 7:00 p.m.-who knows when
Sunday: Shopping, last minute homework

Things you should know about me:
-I have a moose antler (that's right, just one,) on the wall of my bedroom. I found it when my family was hiking on Isle Royale
-I make the best mixed CD's ever. And they all have themes.
-I'm extremely sentimental and a pack rat. The result? 3 big boxes of art projects from elementary school. Under my bed.

1 comment:

Amelia said...

That really sucks about not being able to talk at all at NHS meetings! I feel the same way about what happened with See You At the Pole, where I was supposed to be heading it up but we got there late and so they started without me and I couldn't do any of the plans I had made. Ohmygoodness, math is my weakness too! I hate it with a passion and I too struggle with making change without depending on the cash register! I've had some embarrassing moments when it comes to making change... :) What do you do in Knowledge Bowl? I think I'm going to join, I just haven't been able to come to any of the meetings so far. Hey, I just realized that I have all the old elementary art projects under my bed too! Actually, they're under my parent's bed because I no longer have any room under mine... lol.