Wednesday, July 14, 2010

It's a Laugh

I had an interesting dream a few days ago, and I thought I'd share. The dream was so vivid that I actually still remember it, which doesn't happen very often. Here you go:

I was in a library with a bunch of other people (I think it was actually the old Forest Lake library), and there was an award ceremony of sorts going on. All of the people in the room were aspiring writers, and a list was being read aloud to them. The list had a bunch of book titles on it-books that had been written by the writers there, and were now being published (as the writers were just finding out through the reading of the list).
The deal was that if your book and name were on the list, you were supposed to go find the book on the shelves in the library and bring it back to the front. It was a kind of ritual, I guess.
Anyway, the title of a book was read from the list, and my name after it. In the dream I was confused, however, because I hadn't written the book; it was a well-established classic. For the life of me I can't remember the title, but I think it had something to do with a nightingale, or a bird of some sorts. Or maybe it was A Tale of Two Cities? I don't know.
So I went to grab the book, but when I flipped through it I saw that it was just the existing story, except in the form of a new edition. Apparently, a line that I had written made it into that new edition while it was being edited. I was the only one on the list who didn't write an entire book. Just one paragraph.
I wasn't embarrassed about that fact in the dream, however. I remember being honored and really proud of the line I had written.
Strange dream, huh? Especially strange because I never ever dream about writing or reading; my dreams are always (or usually) big, epic adventures. Nice change of pace, I guess.

Holly's Best Ever No. 2
Another thing I would like to touch on this fine evening is the power of laughter. We all know that it's been scientifically proven that laughing is good for you. Besides the science, even, laughing is simply fun. It feels good.
Despite these encouraging reasons to do it, it's not often that I laugh really, really hard. Tears rolling down my face, stomach hurting, lasts for about five minutes laugh. It's quite rare. Most of the time I guess I just do the little heh heh sort of laugh that is certainly genuine, but not as uplifting.
Tonight, however, I really laughed. It was while we were playing Mexican Train, and I won't explain the joke because if you don't know the game it won't make any sense at all to you. Needless to say, however, it was a funny moment. The laugh felt great as well, and seemed to fill me up and bring me down to earth at the same time. It also felt, as always, like something I should do more often. It felt like the best ever.

No comments: