Thursday, July 29, 2010

Winona For A Day

I spent today down in the lovely town of Winona. My younger sister will be a senior in high school this fall, and Winona State University was part of her summer college tour. I'm not going to deny that I sort of pushed Winona on her; I remembered how much I loved the town and the campus when I was visiting colleges, and I campaigned for us to make the trip.

Once we arrived, and while Mom and Am were sitting through the unavoidable powerpoint spiel, I situated myself on a bench in the middle of campus and tried vainly to finish Jane Eyre. I kept getting distracted, though. Even though it's summer, there were still quite a few people walking around, and there were ants crawling all over my feet, and then I wanted to jump up and read the plaques on nearby statues. There was also something sort of unsettling about the place; I couldn't figure out what it was, though.
I did eventually finish my book, but mainly it was interesting to be on a different college campus now that I officially belong to Morris (not in a creepy I've signed my name in blood on the wall of the student center way; I just go there). I was able to look at Winona State from a completely different perspective. A comparative perspective, I guess.
Winona is an absolutely beautiful town, what with the bluffs and the river and the gorgeous old buildings and everything. The campus is nice, too; lots of flowers and statues and nice, updated facilities. It just didn't feel like home to me. That's what was weird, I think. Winona isn't Morris.

I have a concluding fun fact for you: in one of the dorms we saw on WSU's West Campus, there was this huge Hogwarts-esque dining hall. Our tour guide told us that that hall is where they filmed the food fight scene in Mighty Ducks. Awesome!

No comments: