Monday, March 23, 2009

There Will Be Blood

Blood drive, part 2 was today.
Not as horrific as last time, I must say.
Okay, so the finger poke still made me want to cry, but there was no fainting.
I was on the table, and the nurse had just gotten the needle (never realized before how huge that needle is) into my arm. She then realized that no blood was coming out. Uh oh.
She called over about three nurses, and they all hovered around as she poked around inside my vein with the needle, trying to get the blood flowing. No luck.
At this point I was flat on my back with my knees up. Things were starting to spin, and a random girl came over to tell me that I was really pale.
The nurse then decided to try my other arm. She pulled the needle out of my arm, bandaged it up, and jabbed a new needle into the other arm.
Luckily, the blood came fine in my right arm.
I was fine after that. A little bit of dizziness, but that was it.
Since I had had needles in both arms, they were both stiff. I did kind of a gorilla arm swing the rest of the day.
It was worth it, though. I'm sure I talked about this last time, but I can't count how many people I know who have had, or will need blood transfusions. A little discomfort for me is more than worth their lives.

No comments: