Friday, January 21, 2011

Some More Winter Scenery

Holy expletive, it's cold out!
The walk from my Humanities Building class to my dorm, which only takes about 3 minutes, is enough to freeze my ears, numb my cheeks, and stiffen my knees.

Yes, that's right. It's 10:15 a.m. It's January the 21st. And it's -15 degrees, with 17 mph winds.

Having been born and raised in Minnesota, perhaps I should refrain from ranting so much about the intense cold. I should be used to it by now, shouldn't I? In fact, perhaps I should even be ashamed to complain about it. Perhaps I should bang my chest and claim that Minnesotans are made of stronger stuff. We swim in lakes in the summer and fish on them in the winter. We consider 40 degrees to be wonderfully balmy. We watch tornadoes swoop through our next-door neighbor's backyard, while standing in our own. We're fearless, and what's more, under our thick skins beat hearts of steel that cannot be frosted over. Not even in -15.

Yes, I'm surely proud to be a Minnesotan, although I guess I'm not stoic enough to refrain from admitting that Florida is looking wonderful right about now.


This is a photo of my window, almost completely frosted over. It's been this way for a few days now.

1 comment:

Amelia said...

Holly! In response to the comment you left on my blog...
What I did was added one of the text-box gadgets, like the one you have for your person of the week. When I have a new book to add, I use google images to find a picture of the cover and I copy/paste it into the box.
Hope that helps!