Tuesday, December 6, 2011

Holly Gruntner's Aha Moment

Everyone has moments of clarity in their life.

Some people probably have theirs atop mountains and on tropical islands.

Mine tend to happen on buses, during rush hour, when the driver slams on his brakes.

It is then that the real "aha" moment comes: I realize that my body is hurtling into thin air, and that I've neglected to secure a proper handhold.

And so I tumble to the floor, landing, as only I can land, on my butt with my feet in the air.

As I pull myself upright (against the dead weight of a Finals Week backpack, I might add), I begin to laugh hysterically. And the Austrians on the bus are staring at me politely, probably hoping that the crazy American girl will get off at the next stop, and my friend is contorting her face, deciding whether to laugh or look sympathetic, and when my stop finally comes I give everyone on the bus a big smile and make my exit.

Two hours later Salzburg receives her first snow of the winter, and 2.5 hours later I discover a large bruise on my arm.

I decide these are reasons enough to put off my Literature paper for yet another evening.

No comments: