Monday, September 6, 2010

Spend a Day With Benjamin Franklin

Well, after nearly a whole day of reading Benjamin Franklin's Autobiography, I find that I have a newfound respect for the man. I mean, I knew he was brilliant before. I remembered from high school AP History that he sort of stormed the Founding Fathers and pushed through some points that were certainly important to push through. I'm afraid I don't remember any specifics.

I suppose if my vague history remembrances don't prove his worth, you can always look at his well-known scientific achievements. The guy flew a kite in a lightning storm, for goodness' sakes! If that doesn't make him a hero, I don't know what does.

Anyway, as I said, I liked Benjamin Franklin before I read his autobiography. Now I completely admire him. Just listen to a bit of his introduction:

"So would I if I might, besides correcting the Faults, change some sinister Accidents and Events of it for others more favorable, but tho' this were denied, I should still accept the Offer. However, since such a Repetition is not to be expected, the Thing most like living one's Life over again, seems to be a Recollection of that Life; and to make that Recollection as durable as possible, the putting it down in Writing. Hereby, too, I shall indulge the Inclination so natural in old Men, to be talking of themselves and their own past Actions, and I shall indulge it, without being troublesome to others who thro' respect to Age might think themselves oblig'd to give me a Hearing, since this may be read or not as any one pleases. And lastly, (I may as well confess it, since my denial of it will be believ'd by no body) perhaps I shall a good deal gratify my own Vanity. Indeed I scarce ever heard or saw the introductory Words, Without Vanity I may say, etc. but some vain thing immediately follow'd. Most People dislike Vanity in others whatever Share they have of it themselves, but I give it fair Quarter wherever I meet with it, being persuaded that it is often productive of Good to the Possessor and to others that are within his Sphere of Action: And therefore in many Cases it would not be quite absurd if a Man were to thank God for his Vanity among the other Comforts of Life."

What a guy. And he writes like that throughout his entire Autobiography, constantly referencing what he called his "Erratum," or his grave life mistakes, and earnestly (and oftentimes humorously) taking us along on his quest for self-improvement.
Benjamin Franklin strived to better himself in all ways, from experimenting with vegetarianism, to starting an academic club, to creating a respectful reputation for himself both in business and in personal dealings.
In fact, much of what I've read so far about Benjamin Franklin can be summed up in one of his quotes: "Be at war with your vices, at peace with your neighbors, and let every new year find you a better man."

Happy Labor Day everyone.

1 comment:

Amelia said...

That Ben Franklin... what a guy. Thanks for this. :)