Wednesday, May 5, 2010

The Post I Forgot to Title

I was critiquing someone's poetry today. They had written a poem and posted it on facebook, and I was scoffing at it because it felt like they were trying too hard to write 'deep poetry.' While I don't pretend to be a great poet, I pride myself on writing light, interesting, sometimes funny poems.

Then I thought some more and realized that the girl who had facebooked her poem had at least attempted to write from her heart. She had written a poem that, though a tad melodramatic, expressed what she really felt. When do I ever do that? My poems always have a subject of some kind, but that subject is usually an inanimate object. Who am I to judge someone else for doing something I can't?

I thought still more and decided to try to write a poem on here that expresses how I really and truly feel...Here goes:

This is me writing what I feel
It's not much, really
I don't take the time to think
about each word
because I'm tired
I don't take the time
to create lengthy metaphors
because patience is a virtue
I don't possess
I don't take the time
to rhyme
so sublime
I don't take the time
to think about how i feel
I just feel (pensieve).

Okay, okay. I know I made a joke out of it. Wasn't intentional, I promise. Well, it obviously was, but it's a step in the right direction, I think. Or a direction. There isn't necessarily a 'right' direction in this case.

There's not much else. Oh! I have a quote for you. It's by Winston Churchill, and it got me through the last few pages of my Passage to India paper:

"Never give in. Never give in. Never, never, never, never--in nothing, great or small, large or petty--never give in, except to convictions of honor and good sense. Never yield to force. Never yield to the apparently overwhelming might of the enemy."

1 comment:

Amelia said...

I love the poem!! And the quote as well. :)