Friday, May 14, 2010

The Times, They Are A'Changin

What can I say?
I've been busy unpacking my stuff since Wednesday night.
When I take a break I lie back on my bed and it seems that for the first time, the four turquoise walls of my bedroom form a box.
Despite new additions over the years, my room is trapped in high school, with smatterings of middle and elementary throughout.
And I'm trapped with it.
How is it that you can live away from home for a year, see different things, meet different people, do something entirely new every day, and then come back home and fall into the same pattern you've lived in your whole life?
Now, I'm not saying that it's not nice to be home, or that I've grown tired of my family, or anything like that.
I'm just saying that now that I've broken out into the world a bit, I want to keep drilling at that hole until I can step right through.

I have orientation for my new job at Target this Tuesday. Once I begin work, I'm hoping I'll feel less restless. It will be interesting to work at night, I think. And while stocking shelves is not exactly my dream job, I do love to put things in order. Heck, for $9.00 an hour, I'd do just about anything. This is study abroad money I'm earning, and I don't intend to shirk until I have a nice long stint in Europe under my belt.

Finished rereading The Diary of Anne Frank last night. What an amazing, amazing young woman. It's at the same time wondrous and terribly sad to think about all that she could have done in the world had she lived. Though I suppose that by writing such a beautiful diary, she did do a lot in the world. Someday I'd like to visit Amsterdam (besides the airport), and see the Anne Frank House.
As of right now, I'll settle for watching the movie based on her diary.

P.S. In case you were wondering, I don't know what I'll read next. I have my bookshelf organized perfectly; all 450 of my books are layered based on genre, reading level, and whether or not I've read them before. The books I haven't read are stacked enticingly in front. Now I just have to pick one.

No comments: