Saturday, May 15, 2010

That Itchy Feeling

I'm having that feeling again. That itchy, late-night feeling that makes me want to run and sing and then sit down and write something wonderful.
Current problem: I don't know what to write about.
It seems like whenever I have a story idea I don't have anything to write on, and whenever I'm sitting in front of my computer, fingers poised, my mind is completely blank. Oh, the irony of inspiration.

Despite my lack of lightbulb in certain literary areas, I do have a few bits of good news to share with you...
1. I won the College Writing Essay Contest. When I got the congratulatory email from one of the English professors at UMM, all I could do was lay back on the floor of my room and laugh. It's been three months since I turned in that essay. By now, winning feels stale because I've thought about it for so long. I am grateful, however, and I intend to spend $15.00 of the prize money on an itunes card, just like I said I would from the beginning. Despite my excitement at the prospect of buying new music, I'm thinking that F. Scott didn't buy an itunes card when his stories won prizes at Princeton. In all fairness, though, he probably bought booze.

2. Second bit of happiness: I just checked my Spring Semester grades online, and so far I have an A- in both CMR and Physical Anthropology. While I was expecting an A in CMR (still don't understand how I went down), I expected a B+ at the highest in Anth. I must have done really well on that final! Here's hoping that when my Brit. Lit. and Crusades grades come in, they don't detract from my current happiness.

Well, that's about all the big news on the home front.
If you're really looking for details this fine evening, you may be interested to know that I am currently reading The Brief Wondrous Life of Oscar Wao. I started it ages ago, got to page 200 and became tired of it. I'm just now picking it up again. It's not that it's a bad book; it won the Pulitzer, for heavens' sakes. I simply got distracted.
I also began Ivanhoe last night. I'm only on page 8, so I hate to judge, but so far things are moving rather slowly in the chivalric world of Walter Scott. Because he is Sir Walter Scott, however, I'm trying very hard to have faith.

1 comment:

Amelia said...

I get that itchy feeling too. (Yes, I realize how awkward that sounds, but I'm sure you know what I mean.)