Saturday, December 27, 2008

One thing you don't know about me

This seems like kind of an odd topic, since obviously I've been writing these blogs for a few months now, but I've finally decided to address the actual physical act.

I've been writing since before I could write, and I've been reading even longer. When I was two or so, my parents used to hear noises coming from my room late at night. They'd open my door to find that I had climbed out of my crib and was sitting amidst a pile of books I had pulled off my bookshelf, just paging through each one. I didn't learn to read until around first grade when everyone else did. Books just always held a great mystery to me. There was always such a draw. There still is. Sometimes I feel like everything I know and think I got from a book somewhere, though I like to imagine that a bit of it is just me.

I dictated my first poem to my mom when I was three years old:
Raindrops fall from the sky.
Soft love.

That's all it was, but my mom kept it, along with an illustration I did. Poetry has since been replaced by other types of writing, and I like to think that that two line poem is the best I'll ever compose.

Now as I'm nearing the age where I need to decide what I want to do with my life, I realize that I've known all along. Writing is the only thing I've ever really wanted to do. My love of books has somehow translated into an intense desire to write them for myself.

I don't know if I'll be good-I certainly hope so, but I don't really know. I only know that it's the only thing I can ever be happy doing, and that it's the hardest thing in the world.

I won't make a lot of money, but that'll be okay. I can live in a box so long as I have paper and pencil. And a bookshelf.

Sorry about this tangent, but I was reading back over my old posts, and all of my "things you don't know about me" entries. It just seemed kind of silly that one of the most important things about me hadn't been covered. So now it has been, and you can go back to sleep.

1 comment:

Amelia said...

I think it's so cool how you found your passion at such a young age. I share your love of writing too, but I've only really loved it since I knew I was okay at it back in second grade. I'm so happy that you know what you want to do with your life, it's so cool to see that in people who are soon be heading to college and starting their "real" lives. I wish you the best of luck in the world! May you always have paper, a pen, and a bookshelf and may the inspiration always hit at the time you need it most. :)