Wednesday, June 9, 2010

All Hands on Deck

I was studying my hands just now. I have a slight obsession with hands, you know. It's not creepy or anything, I simply think they're rather amazing. Where would we be without hands? We do so much with them, from writing to fixing cars to carrying things to making rude (though sometimes deserved) gestures.

You can also tell a lot about a person by looking at their hands. For example, I have a gash across my right thumb from when I broke a glass a few nights ago. So, I'm a klutz.

Most of my fingernails are regulation length, but my index and second fingernails on my left hand are short. So, I recently stopped biting my nails, but it's a work in process.

I have small lines of ink randomly spattered across the fingers of my left hand. So, I write.

The life line on my right palm is long and very pronounced. So, I will live to be 108, have 60 grandchildren and 60 dogs, and write a dozen bestsellers, all of which will become part of Oprah's Reading list.

(Just kidding on the last one, by the way)

Besides vainly gazing at my own manos, I haven't done a whole lot this fine evening except read and watch Glee. I'm trying desperately to finish the book series I'm currently working on so that I can switch to something harder. I think this summer I'll go back to the old pattern of alternating lighter, easier books with dense classics. It seems to work, and then I don't feel like reading the classics is such a chore. Not that I don't ever enjoy the classics, but I'm not going to pretend that they're not difficult to get through sometimes. Depends on the book, of course.

Here's the list of classics I definitely want to get through this summer (note: I haven't read any of these before):
1. King Lear
2. Jane Eyre
3. This Side of Paradise
4. The Bell Jar
5. The Stand (Yes, I consider Stephen King to be somewhat of a classic author. You would too if you had dated the boy I did last year)
6. Crime and Punishment (or SOMETHING Russian)
7. Ivanhoe
8. Either Tom Sawyer or Huck Finn (or both, if I'm feeling ambitious)
9. Dickens (I sort of want to do David Copperfield first. Don't ask me why)
10. Uh oh this list is getting long. But I just can't leave anyone out!
11. The Picture of Dorian Gray
12. The Old Man and the Sea
13. Invisible Man (I guess...Since it was the only assigned book I didn't finish in high school, and because I hated it so much, and because everyone else in the world loves it...I'll try again)
14. Let's do another Toni Morrison. What has she written besides The Bluest Eye? Beloved? Okay.

Okay I'm going to stop before my entire reading list for life ends up in this post (I have one, by the way). How about if I read 8 off of this list I'll be satisfied that I didn't waste my summer reading rubbish? If I read 10 I'll do a happy dance and pat myself on the back a few times. If I read 13 I'll treat myself to a trip to Barnes and Noble and buy more books for next summer's list. Deal? Deal.

1 comment:

Amelia said...

Jane Eyre is on my summer reading list too! I don't have King Lear on it, but I have about four or five other Shakespearean plays. We read Huck Finn for Academic Writing, it was super easy. DEFINITELY read some Dickens. I've only read A Tale of Two Cities, but it was FANTASTIC! (Really difficult reading, though.) As for Invisible Man, I read it, but not very closely.