Sunday, February 1, 2009

First speech meet

The interesting and unexpected thing about being speech captain is that I seem to worry more about other people on the team than myself. I was actually really stressed out at this meet because I was worried that the new members wouldn't be able to find their rooms, or wouldn't know what to do, or would decide they didn't like speech after all (heaven forbid).

Luckily, I turned out to be completely stupid, because everyone, including and especially the newbies did a great job!! I even got a chance to hear Ryan and Christine perform, and I was just blown away by how poised and confident they were. I wasn't that calm at my first meet!!

It was a strange to be captain-ing by myself, but definitely fun to lead all the tongue twisters and read scores and everything.

It was also nice (if you'll allow a brag moment) to get my first first place ever! I feel a little bit like it doesn't quite count, because this was kind of a practice meet, but still. I just hope that I can improve and do well the rest of the season.

1 comment:

Amelia said...

Don't be ashamed to brag, you TOTALLY earned your first place!!!! I'm so proud of you!! And you'll definitely be getting high placings at other meets!!!! I was really happy that everyone did so well, too. With Clara and James placing... it was so cool!!! I can't wait for next meet!!