Monday, February 2, 2009

Roast (medium-rare)

Okay, we're going to talk about this girl in my creative writing class (I don't really want to name her).

Our first assignment was to write either a biography or an autobiography. I was actually really proud of my autobiography. I worked hard on it, and thought it was a fairly good piece of writing. I guess Mr. Manske liked it too, because he gave me a 49 out of 50 on it. Then the other girl (let's call her Tara) got hers back. GASP. She got a 45 out of 50. An A minus.

Tara immediately turns around to look at my rubric. "A 98!" she exclaims, snatching my paper and reading through it. Then she goes into pout mode and begins complaining to everyone within a ten foot radius that she deserved higher.

My personal opinion: No she didn't. She is a good writer, but the paper she wrote was boring and snobbish. I hope you know what I mean. Some writers just show off with their writing, using big words and elaborate, over-descriptive phrases. It really bugs me.

Tara then decided to take her complaints to Mr. Manske, and stayed after class to talk to him about her grade. I swear, if he changes her grade I will never respect him again. Ever.

Another thing about Tara: she constantly shoves things she's written in my face, wanting me to read them and gush about how wonderful they are. It's gotten to the point where I don't care enough to voice a real opinion, and just say, "That's really good, Tara," and move on. Someone who needs constant reassurance that she's amazing is not someone I want to associate with.

And one more basting of the roast...
This guy who is also in my class is the guy Tara has a very obvious crush on. Now, this guy just started going out with a girl he obviously likes a lot. Does this stop Tara from flirting shamelessly? I don't think so.

So there it is. A perfect roast, ready to eat.
Do I feel good about writing this? Nope.
Do I feel really mean and two-faced? Yes.
Will I continue to work extra hard in creative writing in order to beat her on every assignment? Of course.

1 comment:

Amelia said...

I know EXACTLY who you're talking about, and I feel for you. I HATE it when people do that. Sooner or later, though, she will just have to accept her grades and stop flirting. The guy, who I also know who it is, obviously doesn't like her (thus, he's dating another girl) and so she will realize this eventually. Don't feel two-faced about complaining, you've seen the rants I've written up about Erin. :)