Saturday, October 11, 2008

Maroon and gold forever

I've actually been planning my activities for today for at least a week-wake up decently early, then buckle down and do homework, pack for Chicago, and maybe relax a bit if there's time.
Fortunately, things didn't go according to plan, and I had a much better day than originally intended. I woke up at about 11 a.m (I'm always so tired on Saturdays-recovering from the school week, I guess), rolled out of bed, and was about to head to the living room in my pajamas when I spotted my aunt and uncle standing in the kitchen. I ran back to my room and got dressed before coming back out. FYI my pajamas are not that bad, I guess, but they do have Batman all over them.
My aunt and uncle and cousins were over to help us take our dock and boat lift out of the water, and to have lunch with us. It was a pretty fun afternoon. My cousin Rachel and I played her new Nintendo DS game-Mario Party-pretty sweet.
At around two in the afternoon everyone left, and my family dressed in our maroon and gold and headed for the cities. My dad went to school for two years at the U of M (before switching to the U of Wisconsin), so he gave me a little tour of the campus. He has wanted me to go there for a long time, and I've always just said, "We'll see, I want to look at other schools first," but when I was actually there on campus, I absolutely loved it. Not only was the campus beautiful, but it was just a really great atmosphere. I don't know if I'll go there for sure-but it seemed a better fit for me than the other schools I've looked at.
After the tour, we headed to Williams Arena to attend the Gopher/Penn State volleyball game. Penn State completely destroyed us, but it was still an enjoyable game. I was watching the pep band, and decided that the saxophones never appeared to be having any fun-it was the brass that was dancing and everything. If I go to the U of M, I'll definitely have to change that.

Some things you should know about me (the never-ending list)
1. I love anything to do with the Romanov family. Partly because their story is so tragic, partly because my own great-grandmother fled Russia during the revolution that brought about the deaths of the Romanovs-I guess I feel a connection to them or something.
2. I am a horrible dancer. Like, the worst in the world.
3. My room is retro-themed. Turquiouse walls, neon lights, posters of Elvis and the Beatles. I love it. I don't know what I'll do when I go off to college and have to live in a boring white dorm.

2 comments:

Amelia said...

OMG, Batman pajamas!! I love it!! :D I'm glad that you really liked the U of M. Joe's planning on going down there with some people and staying over night in Ross and Brett's dorm to see how he likes it. I think he's leaning towards UMD at the moment though.

Your room is retro themed?? That's SO COOL!!! I love retro, especially the old 1950's cars... they're the best!! :D

Holly said...

I haven't been to UMD yet, actually. I should probably get up there and check it out.
Yes, I love my room. I could have moved downstairs to a bigger room, but I didn't want to leave mine. Plus, I may have gotten just a bit freaked out being by myself in the basement :)