Sunday, October 12, 2008

My creepy Romanov dream (and how I'm recovering from it)

So, as you may know (if you've been religiously following my blogs, as I'm sure you have been), I have a small obsession with the Romanov family. I just finished reading a great book about them (The Kitchen Boy, by Robert Alexander-read it!), so I guess I've just been thinking about their whole tragic situation for a couple of weeks.

Anyway, I had a dream last night about them. Actually, the dream took place this morning-for some reason I always dream in the morning, not at night.

THE DREAM (insert Twilight Zone theme here).........................
My whole family was vacationing in Russia. That, is, I'm assuming it was Russia. The closest I've been to Russia in real life is Italy, so the scenery of 'Russia' looked a lot like Italian scenery. So, we were in Russia staying at this really ritzy hotel. We were doing the traditional tourist-y stuff-going through museums, shopping, etc., when I happened to notice that right across the street from our hotel was the church where the Romanov family is buried. I was really excited about it, and so we all decided to go through the church and check it out. Inside the church was a huge statue of Rasputin squating by a stone fire. Behind the statue was a waist-high wall with kneelers in front of it. I walked up to the wall, and peered over it. Down a little ways was the tomb of the Romanovs. Each family member was depicted by a carving of their likeness (I assumed their remains were underneath the carvings). I was looking at the carving of Alexei, when all of the sudden its stone head turned and looked at me. I screamed and woke up.

Usually I can tell where my dreams are coming from and what they mean for the most part, but this one was really out there. It wasn't a nightmare, exactly, it was just kind of eerie.

So how am I recovering from my afore-described dream? Doing an immense amount of homework, of course! I'm also working on college apps. and making cookie dough for a school project (don't ask).

P.S. If you didn't understand some of the Romanov references:
i.e. Alexei, Rasputin, Russia, tragic situation, etc.,
please type 'Romanov' into Wikipedia and read about them. I assure you, at some point in your life you WILL look/feel stupid if you don't know at least a little about their story.

Things you may not know about me:
1. I bite my fingernails
2. I close my eyes in photographs constantly
3. My middle name is Lynn (it was initially going to be Anne, but my Aunt Lori pointed out that my initials would then spell HAG. My parents quickly made the switch, bless them.)

2 comments:

Amelia said...

I've read some historical fiction on the Romanovs, they're really interesting! I think my mom might have read the book The Kitchen Boy, but I'm not sure. It might have been another one. I have really odd dreams kind of like that all the time. (It'd be interesting to post them on my blog sometime... I might just do that...)

LOL, I absolutely loved the fact that your initials almost spelled HAG, that made me laugh. :)

Holly said...

I'm thinking your mom did read it-Joe said the same thing. Seriously, post your dreams. There are some you just don't want to forget.