Tuesday, December 22, 2009

That Side of Paradise

Here's something ironic:

About a month ago, I was taking a quiz for my Intro. to Lit. class. I hadn't studied as much as I should have, so I was stuck on a few questions. In desperation, I wrote one of my favorite quotes in the margin: "Stop using so many exclamation points. It's like you're laughing at your own joke." That's a quote by F. Scott Fitzgerald.

Why is this ironic?
Because I was thinking about it the other day while lying in bed reading my "History for Every Day" book. Just then, I discovered that yesterday (December 21st) was the anniversary of F. Scott Fitzgerald's death.
Now that's ironic.

In light of this irony (which I'm sure F. Scott himself would have appreciated), I have decided that the next book I read will be "This Side of Paradise."

"This Side of Paradise" (wow I'm tired of these quotation marks) is F. Scott's first novel, and was a big success when it came out. Best of all, he started writing it when he was just twenty-one. That's two years older than me. And while I can't see myself having time to start a novel while in college, I think it'll be an inspirational read.

This entry strikes me as rather pompous (perhaps it's the quotation marks?)
I don't think I'm pompous, so I won't let it bother me. Pip pip.

1 comment:

Amelia said...

Don't worry, it's not pompous. :)
The irony is cool, and I'm glad you've found a next book to read.
And I do like the ending "pip pip".