Wednesday, March 3, 2010

Oh the Humanities!

I would first like to address the name of this blog. I'm incredibly sorry, but I am still unhappy with it despite the fact that it was taken from the title of a Beatles song. I have a feeling that I'm making this titling task harder than it really is, but I just can't seem to come up with a name that fits my entire blog.

Right now I'm staring at the blue banner at the top of the screen where "Eight Days a Week" is sprawled in presumptuous white letters. I hate this title.

Anyway, whilst my internal battle continues, I suspect you're looking for fairer content on this lovely March evening. I could mention that I read my first Dickens today. Don't laugh, but it was A Christmas Carol. It was an assignment for my Brit. Lit. class, and I have to say that I enjoyed it immensely, though I thought it took Scrooge an awfully long time to figure out that the corpse in Christmas Yet to Come was his. Why he dies, I cannot say. Is it possible that Scooginess is enough to kill someone? I guess so.

I was also entertained by a footnote that explained Dickens' obsession with spontaneous combustion. What a strange thing to be obsessed with. It was 19th century England, however. What else was there but rain, thick novels and spontaneous combustion?

On a different note, I rediscovered R.E.M the other day. I was browsing the 'recommended for you' section of itunes when I happened upon an R.E.M. song. I played a snippet to see if it was worth buying, and I recognized it! My Mom has their CD, I think. I remember dancing to it when I was really little.

Conclusions?
1) I may have to call this blog "Hey You"
2) Cool points for Mom
3) Hello, Dickens

No comments: